Re: Auxiliary Electric Cooling Fan

From: Alan Short (ashort@flash.net)
Date: Thu Aug 05 1999 - 13:01:41 EDT

> >I have a 99 Dakota 5.2 5 speed. I do a lot of city driving. At any red
> >light, bank drive through,
> >fast food drive in, it heats up fast I want to install a pusher fan in
> >front of the a/c condenser.
> >with a simple on/off switch. Just so I can use it for the times. I don't
> >want to remove
> >the stock fan. Any thoughts or ideas. Please pass them along. Richard
> >Hostetler in south
> >Georgia

Richard,
I haven't found a fan that is thin enough to fit between the grille and
condenser. There is only 1 1/4 inch of clearance, and some of that is
used by the hood latch.
I started out to put a 10" pusher in front in the grille area and a 16"
puller inside the engine compartment, so I would have 2 fans in case 1
quit.
I even took off the gasket around the plastic shroud, and the hood still
wouldn't close, even when I lowered the fan down 1/2 way below the
bumper and took off the metal grille support on the hood.
Believe me, I tried everything. It just won't fit!
                                                   Alan S.
I ended up with a dual 12" puller, but I know that's not what you want.