MP Magnum Shortblock

From: Bob King (k85go76@erols.com)
Date: Sat Aug 07 1999 - 01:13:47 EDT

Hey guys: Getting the itch to move up to a 5.9L motor in my '95 SLT. I'd
like to rework my heads (existing engine is a 5.2L) with some mild pocket
porting etc. and I saw an article in Aug. Mopar Muscle which talked about
the small block magnum 360 short block. This would be a great way for me to
get the displacement I crave (read "HP"). They said the cyls. were bored
.020" over (obviously a reman.), had a 280 degree/0.512-inch hydraulic
roller cam and either 9.5:1 or 10.5:1 pistons. This setup along with the
mangnum heads are supposed to yield 9.9:1 and 11:1 CRs respectively. Of
course if I had to choose a setup that should wreak minimal havoc with the
OE systems (or MP SBEC) I would go with the 9.9:1 CR combination. BUT!!!!
Won't a 9.9:1 compression goof everything up and cause many a headache
 especially worry about detonation). This I say knowing that the OE
compression is 9.1:1. Can I combat the problem by getting an aftermarket
ignition with a timing retard contol (manually or otherwise)??..or (2) are
there other issues I am overlooking.....or the third choice; I'm neurotic
and worry too much???

Any help/advice would be most appreciated!
Thanks!
Bob
Pennsville, NJ