Re: leaking transfer case(home fab skid plate)

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Sun Aug 08 1999 - 18:55:16 EDT

<< my slight trickly has developed into a large one now :(
 the x-fer case is leaking at the gaskets at the diff. sections of the case.
 What's the best way to seal this? I plan on dropping it and just replacing
 them when cooler weather gets here. Any input/ideas? >>

Jon,
My tcase started to do this about 8 months ago. Im not sure if it is the
Amsoil AFT I have in it(really thin and slippery fluid) or just the
gasket/seal starting to go. I would bet at 108,000 miles, its just the
gasket. Another possibility is that, on my Dak atleast, where it is leaking
is at the bottom of the tcase(where the 2 halves of the case meet and where
it gets bolted to the tanny) is where it gets dragged and sees more contact
with rocks, branches, etc. This area would be more prone to
failure/breakage/deterioration. I bet that there not even a gasket in there,
as mine looks to be some type of black RTV sealant. I just had some Permetex
Ultra Copper laying around and used this to seal up the leak. I smeared it
all over the bottom on the tcase(where it is leaking in both spots), not too
pretty, but hey its a tcase!!!!! So far, its has not leaked. I plan on
fabricating up a skid plate soon(deer season approaching!) for my transfer
case. If you look(at least is it this way on mine) there is a frame
crossmember both behind and infront of the transfer case. Both front and rear
crossmembers have 2 holes punched out on each one(dealer skid plate option
holes??????) This skid plate will simply be as wide as the tcase(with a few
1/2" holes for drainage). It will simply bolt on the frame crossmember which
runs behind the tcase, runs underneath the entire tcase housing, and gets
bolted/connected to the crossmember infront of the tcase. This will only give
up about 3/8" of ground clearance(depending on how thick of steel you use) I
will sacrifice that little amount to know that I can slide over things
alittle safer without breakage. This will be a very easy and cheap project; 4
Grade 8 bolts & hardware to connect the skid plate to the crossmenber and
just the price of the steel plate itself; $20 total max. This will prevent
any further damage and will also still allow me to take the plate off when I
need to change the fluid. You can even spray it with some paint to know how
bad you just dragged the plate over that S10, and to prevent some rust :)
Good luck, hope this helps.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6