Re: M1 mainifold - atten: Jon

From: WillTier@aol.com
Date: Mon Aug 09 1999 - 18:48:10 EDT

In a message dated 8/8/99 11:31:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time, durling@ibm.net
writes:

<< Jon,
 didyou ever get the M1 mainifold to fit your truck? If you did when you
 have the time could you post some picks. Also, if you really have the
 time maybe you could post some info on what you did to make it work.

Jeff

Jon did get it on and working but Jon musta found a woman or sumpin cause we
hain't heard from him in a couple of weeks. He went to Oshkosh and usually
falls in love with some airplane and comes home, head fer da airport and
starts takin lessons again but atleast contacts us once in a while until he
gets back to normal but not this time, hasn't replied to any messages or
nuttin, gotta be a woman :-)

Anyway I also have one on mine, just getting it going and not fine tuned yet.
There are some snags but Jon and I worked most of them out. One real snag I
ran into was using the new style intake gasket (rubber on steel vs cork). The
MPI has 3 dowel holes in each end and the new style gasket doesn't accomodate
the middle hole at the rear. I have it back on with High temp silicone in the
holes and around the hole areas and it has made one jaunt without any oil
leaking out. The first trip without silicone had oil blowing up through the
dowel hole over the gasket. There are several things that you have to do to
make it work. If you have a pre 96 then you will not have a place for the EGR
stuff. I just left it off but not enough time to figure out if it is a
problem the local mechs say no problem. If you have air you need to trim both
the A/C-Alt bracket around the thermostat housing and trim the right rear
mounting on the A/C pump (you have to leave that bolt out. There is also no
accomodations for the support brackets to the Alt and Pump (I fabbed up a
better than nothing deal). There are 2 sensors with no place to put them. One
is the gauge temp sender (I have it tucked between the heater hose and
Thermostat housing and seems to work OK) and the other is the intake air temp
sensor which I have wire tied to the fuel injection rail. Jon did some
experimenting with temps at different locations and he said this spot is
closest to actual readings in the stock intake. I also had to trim the rear
of the manifold to clear the Distributor. You also need to get bolts (grade 5
or better in odd lengths (2 3/4) but I found them at McMaster-Carr) And there
is no or insufficient ports for the vacuum hook ups. We found that a vacuum
tree from around a 80ish ford pickup or van either straight 6 or v8 will work
but need to get at a scrap yard as we could not find a ford dealer that could
locate them (they said they were obsolete?). You also need to get the old
style (larger) thermostat housing and thermostat. I got mine from summit
(chrome neck around 8.99 I think) and you will need to play with vacuum hose
legths and such. Jon and I were going to document all that we found out to
try to make it easier for the rest of you guys that were thinking about the
MPI but Jon disappeared :-) I think I covered about all the info I have on it
but if you have any more questions I'll try to help ya atleast until Jon
surfaces :-)

Bill