Re: RE: RT Towing - More info.

From: Ryan Krokosinski (ryan@equinoxfinancial.com)
Date: Wed Aug 11 1999 - 17:15:30 EDT

Here's a post from someone on the R/T list who recieved info from
an unnamed source at DC:

"I have been told by DC that they discovered two problems about
towing
with an R/T.

Problem #1 At trailer loads of 3800 lbs the rear axle sets down
on the
rubber axle snubbers (jounce bumpers). Continued useage in this
manner
will damage the rubbers to the point of failure allowing the
metal axle
tube to contact the metal frame causing damage.

Proble #2 The lowered center of gravity on the R/T makes it more
prone
to jack knife-ing with a heavy trailer, compared to a regular
Dakota.

The solution to both problems was the new 2000 lb towing limit.

I was also told that while you can tow more than 2000 lbs and not
damage the truck if you are careful, as some folks have posted,
it will
still void the warranty if you get caught. The only official
recourse
if you must tow over 2000 lbs is to get a different truck. There
will
be no fix from DC.

Just what I was told, but it makes sense. They could have
lowered the
limit to 3500 lbs but they wanted a big fudge factor just to be
sure,
so they settled on 2000 lbs."

Ryan K
'99 R/T RC