Re: Carr vs. Smitty vs. Westin

From: devinh@teleport.com
Date: Wed Aug 11 1999 - 19:29:02 EDT

> Does anyone have one of these nerf bars
> on their truck. If so can you comment on
> their quality, appearance, and ease of
> installation. Thanks.

 I have the smittybilt nerf with step on my 99 club cab.

It runs longer than I expected, past the back of the cab, because
it bolts to the only available body parts underneath.
the molded step is possibly a little farther forward than I would
like, but I am not accustomed to using them yet either.

The passenger side brackets were a tad close together, when
fit under the truck they did not touch the body parts that they
bolt to, consequently they were mildly irritating to get lined up
correctly for drilling. The drivers side brackets were perfect,
they fit snug against the drilling points and stayed in place by
friction while the drill positions were marked and during drilling.

Quality will I expect be high as with other smittybilt parts
I've had experience with. Appearance, the black powdercoat is
even and glossy, I have no complaints.

I'd really like to know if the Westin bars really fit without
drilling, and how exactly they attach.