RE: Ring Gear changes: 3.55 vs. 3.90

From: mrdancer (mrdancer@camalott.com)
Date: Wed Aug 11 1999 - 21:06:36 EDT

>On the overall scale, your statement it true. What I personally did was
>keep a ratio close to the stock one but allow the engine to turn the tires
>a little bit easier. My closest estimation is that i'm running 3.60's with
>the 32" tires and 4.10 gears. (I actually jacked up the rear end and
>counted the driveshaft revolutions compared to one tire revolution.)
>
>- Bernd

Bernd, I'm a little confused about your last 2 statements here. If you are
running 4.10 gears, your axle should rotate once for every 4.1 revolutions
of the driveshaft, regardless of tire diameter. That's the problem with
determining your 'effective' gear ratio when altering your tire size - I ran
into this problem when I went to 2" smaller diameter tires (I guess I'm
running close to 3.90, but my actual ratio is still 3.55).

Other than a little complicated math, I think the easiest way to determine
your overall "effective" ratio is to record rpm's at a corrected MPH before
and after the gear swaps and tire swaps - then you can determine roughly
where you are at based on those figures.

I neglected to do this when I switched to the smaller tire; however, I can
easily swap my old tires back on and determine rpms at various speeds based
on the bicycle computer I have hooked up (another advantage for the old bike
computer :-). If I don't do this soon, I will do it in a few months when I
get the truck painted (and put the old tires on for that job) - I'll keep
y'all posted.

'92 Dak CC 2wd 318 3.55
'84 GoldWing Interstate