Re: RE: Ring Gear changes: 3.55 vs. 3.90

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Thu Aug 12 1999 - 10:38:32 EDT

That was me who stated "Here we go again". Yup, totally correct. In my
case, the ACTUAL gear ratio is 4.10:1. What I get to the pavement (the
EFFECTIVE) is obviously different due to the oversize tires.

I've done the tire/rotation check more times than I care to count (from
past shops and over the years) so I know what i'm doing. You don't have to
turn it 10 times...three or four is more than sufficient. But what the
heck, it all averages out the same.

Here's the specifics for my application:

Stock Tire Size: 28.5" (245/70-15)
BFG Replacement: 32" (285/75-15)

Now if the effective ratio with the stock tires is 4.10:1 then, doing the
math with the RPM and MPH readings at 65mph (2500 RPM in 4th gear), the
effective ratio with the 32" tires is: 3.66 (Pretty darn close to what I
measured on the first try).

* You don't use 5th gear since it is an overdrive...you want to always
check with a 1-1 gear....just an FYI *

- Bernd