RE: Subject: Legal matters (speeding!)

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Fri Aug 13 1999 - 03:00:39 EDT

Not flaming, but would like to point out something. Out here in California
(other areas
might be the same way), the way the judicial system works (especially in
traffic citations),
you are guilty until proven innocent.

For every 100 traffic citations written, only 5-10% are contested by
individuals who's only
other option is to plead guilty. The remainder are given the option of
traffic school (which
I feel is a racket, as the court system loves to throw that out for people
who otherwise would
be stuck fighting the ticket-- the court gets it's money, you pay the
traffic school fee, and
your insurance company 'never knows').

Of the tickets that are contested, more than 90% are thrown out of court.
My friend had one
suck case, where the traffic officer wrote down the wrong date of the
infraction. He fought
it in court and won. "Mr. Smith, do you how do you plead to the charges
that you were speeding
on Feb 17th, 1998... " "Gee your honor, I plead not guilty" (Something
about driving a 1999
model year car, in 1998 (at least that early), was impossible.)

Whether a person is REALLY guilty, or deserves the ticket isn't the name of
the game...

If you got a ticket, and get the choice of taking traffic school-- take the
traffic school
If you got a ticket, and don't have the choice of traffic school-- Fight
the ticket, you have nothing
to lose.

If you don't care what happens to your car insurance rates-- please guilty,
pay a lessor fine,
and pay higher insurance rates.

If you go the traffic school, don't expect the 'Comedy Traffic Schools' to
be funny-- I've been to
3 of them, and I was the one that ended up telling the jokes (bad).

Sam '99
"United States of the Soviet Union"