Re: Oil consumption

From: Lynne M. Ellsworth (lellsworth@whoi.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 17 1999 - 09:51:33 EDT

Christopher L Scott wrote:

> My 94 V6 has been consuming about a quart of oil every 1500-2000 miles.
> Should I be concerned, or is this normal?

        Normal?
        I would think that a quart low @2k is a sign of damage somewere, mine
started to use oil after I changed to Castrol Syntec or was it befor.
Sometimes it is a bit more than makes me feel comfortable
lessthan1qt.@4-5k. I do understand there is/could be some
dissplacment/loss of oil when switched to synthetic. My plugs are fine.
@79k miles there are no drips under or darkclouds behind any time
either. I am curious about about this happening in large amounts. I
watch the oilpressure guage more often than watch the odometer now. When
the oil is @ add I can tell. One time when I changed my oil and it came
out orange. Yes, it did and I think the oil was cooked or is my motor
rusting?
I have never heard of it happing to anyone befor but mostly its
difficult to admit.
        Dontknowabout the Castel stuff tho.
        Waiting to here what others experience too.
 94
v6ccautowhitedirtydentedstainswaterleakingfusepopingoilmissingenginstumblingDAKOTA
        w/
napabugguardnaparubbermattenokaelectronicbrakecontrollernapaheavyflasher
4tonecaddillacachornsloadrite?class3hitchandreceivergoodyeartiresmpvchampiontruckplugs
heavymoparwiresnapagoldfilternaparotorsandpadsnapabatterynapastarternapabrasscapandrotorpersonaljunk/stuffalloverinsidewhoiworksticker(noIdontworkfornapa)
        w/o brokenairdamDODGEdecalonthetailgateanannoyingdoorbuzzer