Re: Service ?

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Sun Aug 22 1999 - 17:07:09 EDT

In a message dated 8/22/99 2:55:57 PM Central Daylight Time,
Dkota4by4@aol.com writes:

<< O.K...I need some advice. I was looking through the service manual to see
 when I need to change my differ fluids (front and rear) and transfer case.
 As most of you are aware, there are 2 different schedules for service.
 Schedule "B" calls for a fluid change every 12k. Schedule "A" never tells
 you to change the fluids in the diffs. My? Is when would a "normal" driver
 need to change the fluid? I figured since I am at almost 35k I would go
 ahead and do it, but do I need to do it more often? >>

I change my tcase and both diffs every 35,000 miles with Amsoil ATF in the
tcase and Amsoil 75W90 in the diffs. I have only replaced those rubber diff
plugs one time at each diff, since the rubber became deteriorated and started
leaking. The fluid on th diffs should come up the the bottom of the diff
cover plug hole and on the tcase the tranny fluid should come up to the
bottom of the fill plug. On my 93, the NP321 tcase plugs(both the drain plug
and the fill plug) uses a 32MM(huge) wrench. I found out that no other tool
really works other than a wrench. Instead of paying $25 for a new Craftsman
32MM wrench, I just went down to my local flea market and bought one, a used
Craftsman, for $2.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6