RE: A 98 RearEnd 3.55 to a Newer 3.92? Possible?

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Mon Aug 23 1999 - 08:13:27 EDT

Hi Ron,

Welcome to the DML...

Yes...you can swap out the gears for the 3.90's.

As for the mods:

(1) Intake System (K&N Gen-II or QuickD)
(2) Modified Throttle Body (Magnum Performance, QuickD, F&B)
(3) Exhaust System (Flowmaster, Gibson, Borla, or Dynomax)
(4) Ignition (MSD or Jacobs) - Coil included
(5) Brass Terminal Cap and Rotor (Borg Warner), also change to some better
plug wires and spark plugs (SplitFire, MSD, Champion, etc.)
(6) Jet-II Chip and 180 degree Thermostat

In that order, you'll see definite gains in performance. I can't speak for
the suspension mods since i'm a firm believer in raising a truck...not
lowering. But...Hotchkis seems to be the choice for most of the people on
the DML. (Western Chassis is also one of the other choices.)

Bernd D. Ratsch
Pflugerville, TX
1997 Dodge Dakota SLT/CC - 2WD
http://lonestar.texas.net/~bernd/Dakota.htm
bernd@texas.net
ICQ: 39320084

Subject: DML: A 98 RearEnd 3.55 to a Newer 3.92? Possible?

 A realitive newbie to this DML, I'd like to say a quick hello. Anyways,
down
to the chase. I have a 98 Dak with a 3.55 rear end limited slip. I was
basically wondering if that gearing can be switched with the gears tossed
into the latest R/T's and the available gears with the newer Daks? Info
would
be appreciated.

BTW, I'm also wanting to beef up my Dak in the near future, so advice on
proven performance methods would also be greatly appreciated. Also I would
like to spruce up the bod with some stylin' and some chassis improvement
with
the help of Hotchkis, suggestions again in this category is desired greatly.

  Thanks a ton.

RoN

98 Dak, RegCab-ShortBox-2wd, 5.2, 3.55-5spd, K&N Filter, Flowmaster 50
muffler, and a freakin' Accel Super Coil that's waiting on an adapter from
lazy Accel.

P.S. Oh yeah, does anyone know why no dealer can get these adapters
(140021AH) in stock? Jeg's here had them once and blew them out the door.
Now
they can't seem to get more in. Some Gregory fellow at Accel said he had no
idea when they would ship out again. Argh.