RE: Ignition opinions WANTED and a ? for Bernd

From: John Mautz (jmautz@home.com)
Date: Sat Aug 28 1999 - 23:58:10 EDT

I had (key word here is HAD) the Jacobs Pro-Street Ultra team on my 5.9
Durango. The reason I originally went with them was the promise of better
MPG (2.4 MPG). Well after 60 days talking to their tech support people and
trying different plug gaps, it went back in the box and was shipped back to
them. In hind site I think I did get a little better throttle response from
the unit, but I lost .5 MPG, which is a far cry from a gain of 2.4 as
promised. After reading others responses I will most likely go with the MSD
6 Digital, but that has moved far down the list of mods. The Jacobs unit
was just a bad experience.

In all fairness to Jacobs I do need to say that they were very happy to work
with me to fix the problem, offered to return part of the amount paid vs.
return for 90% credit. Also, one of the members of the National Durango
Owners Club has the mileage Master system on his and seems to think it is
okay.

If for some reason you do go with the Jacobs unit, DO NOT get the ceramic
boots on the wires. The ceramic boots are too short. Only about 1/8"
extends beyond the spark plug boot tubs so they are a BIG PAIN to remove. I
ended up breaking 3 of the boots in the process of adjusting the spark plug
gaps, during my willing to work with them stage.

Your mileage may very.
John.