Re: TrailmasterLift Kit Options, was poop

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@wcom.com)
Date: Tue Aug 31 1999 - 00:52:19 EDT

>ok, is there a major advantage to having dual steering stabilizers over
>single?
More steering stabilization? :-) No, really, the purpose of the steering
stabilizer is to prevent (or at least lessen) a rut from taking the steering
wheel away from you... people have been known to lose fingers when gripping
the steering wheel incorrectly while off-roading (keep your hands on the
outside of the wheel, no fingers inside)

>What about dual shocks? Just a smoother ride or what is the advantage that
>this would offer? I'm planning on ordering this kit sometime soon, with at
Definately not for a smoother ride.. I've got RS9000's on my Ram 1500, with
the in-cab remote... with them set on 5, I can feel it when I run over a
dime... :-) There's even a couple of people on the DiRT list that run DUAL
RS9000's and have set them BOTH on 5 before... said it was like welding the
axle to the frame! The REAL reason to run dual shocks is that it's harder
to overheat them when you're doing the Baja 500 type thing... or because it
looks cool... but there's plenty of shocks out there that will dampen more
than enough in a single shock configuration.

>least the skid plate, but not sure what advantage the other options would
>offer...since I plan to use my Dak for off-roading, which options/shocks
are
>best for rugged 4-wheeling?
That depends on the type of 4-wheeling... If you're doing the Baja 500
thing, then dual shocks are a good idea... but if you're rock-crawling, then
adjustable shocks are better... I like my RS9000s, since they allow me to go
from '69 Caddi to rail in a few seconds. Of course, the auto-adjusting
shocks can be very good... I ran the Edelbrock IAS's on my old Ram, and they
were great, but that was a 4x2, and I never took it off-road.... but they
were good on the street.

and kicker (traction) shocks are perfect if you've got a wheel hop
problem... Mopar Action even ran a set on their '69 Valiant that they run in
the lap across america event.

Gary Shook