318 vs 360 on dyno 2000

From: BoogYT1300@aol.com
Date: Sat Sep 04 1999 - 09:33:45 EDT

Well, the 360 won this one hands down. You R/T's oughtta start some serious
moddin!

318 Magnum 360 Magnum
bore:3.910 stroke:3.313 bore: 4.00 stroke 3.58
Wedge stock ports/valves Wedge stock ports/valves
600 CFM SMPI 600CFM SMPI
(assume TB port & polish) (TB job)

Stock:
RPM HP/TQ RPM HP/TQ
3500 234/351 3500 255/382
4000 252/330 4000 264/346
4500 253/296 4500 253/295

Small dia. tuned headers:
RPM HP/TQ RPM HP/TQ
3500 259/388 3500 283/425
4000 284/372 4000 297/390
4500 289/337 4500 288/336

Add HiPo street cam:
RPM HP/TQ RPM HP/TQ
3500 244/367 3500 274/411
4000 286/375 4000 314/412
4500 319/372 4500 342/398

Add Vortech V2-S:
650 CFM 120% efficiency
RPM HP/TQ RPM HP/TQ
3500 313/469 3500 349/523
4000 366/481 4000 400/525
4500 412/481 4500 438/511
5000 446/468 5000 459/482

Add 4lb/min 100HP N20:
RPM HP/TQ RPM HP/TQ
3500 413/619 3500 449/673
4000 466/612 4000 500/657
4500 512/597 4500 538/628
5000 546/573 5000 559/587

Looking at the data, the 360 produces its peak torque faster than the 318.
It seems to benefit from a cam. I didnt like the drop in torque for the 318
with a HP cam.

I am going back to the Dyno to find my favorite combo for the 318. I think I
want 360 heads! :0).

What sucks about this program is that it is all theoretical. Motion Software
(who makes this) has a dragstrip program where you can take these engines
from the Dyno 2000 and put them in a vehicle. They claim that you can use
virtually any vehicle/trans...etc. I'm gonna ask them if they have a Dak
simulation as a choice. If so, you know I'm gonna get it.
ttyl
Boog