Re: Denizens of Doom! Jon gets around Non Dak

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 07 1999 - 14:01:16 EDT

On Sun, 5 Sep 1999, Pedro J. Diaz wrote:

> I was just surfing along and came upon the DoD's, a motorcycle mailing
> list similar to ours. guess who runs the thing?
> Jon Steiger.

   Heh heh heh! Thanks, but I definitely can't take credit for that;
the DoD was around a long time before me. :-) I started out with a
750cc Virago, and joined the DoD (#1038) shortly afterwards, and became
the KotWitDoDFAQ a little while later. (Keeper of the What is the DoD?
FAQ.) I traded the Virago in on an FZR600R (crotch rocket) later,
and had that for a little bit, but sort of fell away from bikes mostly
because of the FZR. After I took it for a test ride, I bought it on
an impulse because of the power and handling, but it was downright
painful for trips over a half an hour. I should have stuck with the
cruiser; I didn't realize until too late that cruisers were my thing,
not sportbikes. I sold it when I needed some money. I still maintained
the DoD FAQ, but started moving away from that too, a little bit. The
position has been open for a few years, but to my knowledge, no-one has
volunteered. Fortunately, not much has changed. Maybe I'll start
maintaining it again, I dunno.

   I'm very happy to report that after maintaining non-biker status
for a few years, I'm back in the saddle again! :-) Today, I bought
a Suzuki Intruder VS1400! I've wanted one of these for a LONG time,
even before I bought my Virago. Its a lean, mean cruiser with
1360cc's (83ci) of V-twin power. Its most known for being a torque
monster. It weighs 533lbs and makes about 80lb-ft, so it can get up
and go. :-) For some Dak content, that would be like putting a
620ci engine that made about 450hp and 600lb-ft of torque into
my Dak. :-) For now, I'm out of money so I'm not going to do anything
to it but install a set of forward controls, but I definitely want
to get a set of aftermarket pipes on there ASAP, install a jet kit,
and get a Corbin seat. (Hey, mebbe now I'll finally be able to beat
Bill in the 1/4 mile...) ;-)

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |