Re: Towing Advice: Help!!!

From: Jetmugg@aol.com
Date: Tue Sep 07 1999 - 21:20:47 EDT

I'm one of the guys you see towing inboard ski-boats (about 3500# total),
hot-rod jetboats (about 2800# total), utility trailers with tractors on them
(over 4000#) and just about any other trailer I can hook onto. You didn't
say whether you had a V6 or 8, so I'll assume you have the V8. If you are
not already doing it, TURN OFF YOUR O/D! This will keep the engine in a
higher rpm range, as well as keeping the trans. from shifting as much, and
the trans. will run cooler in the long run. You said you have 3.55 gears,
but didn't mention tire size. Tire size is important. Smaller tires have
the same effect as lower gears. (higher numerically). Other tips are - be
patient, slow down. You just can't push as hard as if you didn't have the
trailer. If you feel the truck is working too hard going up a hill, ease off
the throttle, and let the truck find it's own pace. As far as the gas
mileage - I can get about 18 mpg unloaded on the open road, but it drops to
12-13 mpg pulling my CP Gullwing Jetboat (454 Chevy Powered). I don't know
of any way to get better mileage when towing. Good luck with it.

SteveM.