RE: Towing Advice: Help!!!

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Wed Sep 08 1999 - 02:44:48 EDT

Never said it was a toy (well, it could be a big toy!).
I checked the web page of Air Nautique, and the Super Air
Nautique (http://www.preferredboats.com/super.html) comes
in at around 3000#, vs. the boat on the cover at 2700#.

Figure in full ballast of 400#, and full fuel (350#), you are
in the 3450-3750# range, plus another 1400-1500# for the trailer.
You would be nearly 5200# at max capacity (add in additional people,
icechests, gear, etc.), and your truck (like mine) is rated at
5500#... The truck will handle it with 3.55 gears, but forget
using OD... Expect 9-10 mpg at best, and things will be slow on
the hills. I pulled a 4500# jetboat 2-3 times a year with my '95
SLT, 3.90 gearing 5spd. No problems at all. The 4x4 will have
a little more work cut out for it because of the 3.55 gearing/extra
weight. The 5spd vs. auto is a tough call. The 5spd gives you more
gears to work with, PLUS you can really load the engine on a grade, vs.
the automatic that will kick down at WOT under similar situations. To make
the 4x4 a more reliable hauler, you might want to drop to 3.92 gearing
(front and rear of course) to get better towing power on the grades.

Be sure to post the results once you tow the boat, as it will help
others (I plan on a boat or trailer in the next 12-18 months so I'm
in the same 'boat'--- sorry :)

Sam '99 RT & 4x4