Re: Please Help: Wheel offset

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Sep 10 1999 - 12:56:56 EDT

At 12:40 PM 9/9/99 PDT, you wrote:
>I'm putting new wheels and 30x9.5 BFG's on my 1990 Dakota, and need to know
>a bit about offest. I want the tire to "stick out" a bit from the body, so
>is that negative or positive backspacing.

The distance from a flat stick laid from one edge of the rim to the other edge
(this will keep the tire budge out of the measurement) to the mounting
surface of the rim will be the backspacing.

>In order for the tire to do just that, what's a good backspacing number?

Sorry, can't help you there. '97+ have a different spacing.

>If it helps, the wheels are AR 15x8's.

Usually, aftermarket rims have more backspacing than stock rims so
that the outer face of the rim will line up with the edge of
the wheelwell. I thought that 8" rims would not fit on the older
Dakotas but maybe they do on the pre-magnums.

>Also, what do I do to the speedo with the bigger tires? Any help
>would be greatly appreciated! Thanx Dustin

You will need to know the axle ratio of your truck and the diameter
of the tires. The parts dept. at any Dodge dealer should be able
to look the correct pinion gear that you'll need. You could calculate
the number of pinion teeth you need using:

# of pinion teeth = (263 x Axle Ratio) / Tire Diameter

Not entirely sure about the 263 figure though.

Hope this helps a bit.

Bob, Burlington, Ontario
'97 FR CC NSV Sport, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.