RE: Dakota Problems...

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@home.com)
Date: Sun Sep 12 1999 - 02:41:15 EDT

> First off I'm kinda new to the list (etc, etc, etc...)

Welcome aboard!

> I just a bought a new '98 Standard Cab, Long Bed, 4 cyl (lame I know),
> manual, this past May. Gotta say I love the truck! But I do have a
> couple problems and I've been getting the runaround from 2 local
> dealers. I'm just curious if anyone else has had the same trouble...
> One last thing... I'm on the digest version and I'm unsure if I'll get
> all the replies, so if ya can, please email me directly! Thanks!
>
> Here's the problems I've been having...
>
> First of all... Reverse!! Getting into reverse. Sometimes, the shifter
> will go in no problem. Other times, its impossible. I've tried shifting
> to fifth then down and that still doesn't work. What I have to do is
> throw it in neutral, let up on the clutch, push it back down then put it
> in reverse. That works, but the gears grind (NOT GOOD!!) Anyone else
> have this problem? One dealer says its normal another says they won't
> even look at it cuz the other dealer said it was ok. It wouldn't bother
> me so much as long as the gears didn't grind on me... Any help or
> tips??

Mine does the same thing (v6 5spd), and it is pretty much "normal" for a
stick. Reverse is non-synchomeshed so it is a bit hard to get Reverse. Make
sure your clutch is pressed all the way down when you shift to reverse. One
thing you can do is put it in neutral, let up on the clutch, then press it
down, shift into 5th then go into reverse. If you really want to talk about
ball-busting I had a retired Jeep that had a 4 speed non-synchomeshed
tranny. It took me a while to deprogram myself from double-clutching from
2nd to 3rd....

> My second problem is a rough idle. This only happens when I start it
> cold or if its wet out. The truck will idle very low almost to the point
> where it will stall and it has stalled a couple of times. One dealer
> said its supposed to do that. (If this is true, then this truck sucks,
> but I think there is defintitely something wrong). Its going into the
> other dealer on Monday. Anyone else have this problem??
>
> The last thing, might actually deal with with problem #2. I was driving
> through the city about a month ago and I hit a puddle. It wasn't a deep
> deep puddle, but it wasn't tiny neither. When I hit it I gradually lost
> power and the truck just died on me. Took a while, but I finally got it
> started. I figured my distributor got wet. But if it does that on a
> puddle that size, what am I gonna do when Spring rolls around and half
> my city is flooded? I haven't had any problem since, but I'm thinking
> that might have something to do with the cold/wet starts...

Sounds like a cracked distributor cap, or the seal around it is gone. Could
be the wires also.

Greg
95 DSCC v6 5spd
Rahway NJ