Lifespan of the PCV valve?

From: Sawyer, Travis (tsawyer@northchurch.net)
Date: Mon Sep 20 1999 - 09:33:07 EDT

Folks:

Well, after 77k miles on my '97 I finally decided it was time for a brass
cap and rotor.
I did the plug wires and plugs, and breather while I was at it.

I found that NAPA carries the breather and autozone doesn't (well, autozone
would order it
and it would be $38!!

Anyway, $5 at NAPA and it was easy. (Gimme a break, I'm a computer engineer
;)

My question is this: what is the lifespan of the pcv valve? It's rattling
like a son-of-a-gun!
I thought I had a engine tick for a while, but after I had replaced
everything I mentioned above,
I kicked the engine over to make sure nothing went bad (ie I screwed up a
plug wire ;) and I
heard the pcv rattling.

I think I replaced it 8k miles ago. Are they supposed to rattle? or is that
the sign that it is dead.

thanx!

Travis
'97 Sport+ V8 CC

---
If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space

Northchurch Communications Inc. 5 Corporate Drive Andover, MA 01810 (978)691-6335 PGP Fingerprint 418B BB2B BBDA C025 59D1 3677 CB4C 0319 7F80 4453