Re: Suspension: 4x4 vs 4x2, raising ?'s

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Tue Sep 21 1999 - 15:16:04 EDT

In a message dated 9/21/99 1:59:19 PM Central Daylight Time, cameyer@bw.edu
writes:
<< What is the difference between the suspension that makes a 4x4 higher
than a 4x2. Why will suspension lifts for 4x4's not work for 4x2's? I have
an 89 2wd. I put HD coil springs on front and some air shocks in rear(I
think they're dead) Are there shocks I can get for either the front or back
that will raise my truck? Regarding the leafs in the rear, which is best, new
extra leafs, or add-a-leaf or what? I also have a 3 in body lift, but I
really want suspension height...what else can I do? >>

Shocks alone will not raise/lower your truck, however, if the shock is not
long enough, this could hinder wheel/tire travel and limit the articulation
of the suspension. For the rear, the cheapest way would be the put in a
add-a-leaf kit, may get you an additional 1-1 1/2". This will make the ride
rough though. I would go to your local axle/spring shop and ask them how much
will it cost to have them make you an entirely new rear spring leaf pack.
This way, you can really custom make them for how soft/rough of ride you
want, how much carrying capacity you want, and most importantly, how tall you
want the rear to sit. You could easily get them to make you a 4" lifted rear
spring pack. The front end will really be the only problem here. Sorry, but I
cant help you out there with suggestions. 4WD front ends are totally
different, they use torsion bars, not springs, and most IFS lift kits have
brackets the drop the front axle down, thus raising the truck up higher.
These lifts kits are NOT interchangable between 2WD and 4WD.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6