Re: Never Use Dextron 3 in Chrysler Tranny

From: mrdancer (mrdancer@camalott.com)
Date: Thu Sep 23 1999 - 16:10:02 EDT

DexronIII works fine in the A-518 tranny. I've used it ever since I changed
my tranny fluid/filter (at 40k, 80k 130k) - tranny now has 143k on it and
still runs/shifts like new.

MoPar 7176 is required in the newer trannies. I believe it has something to
do with the newer tranny being electronically-controlled rather than
hydraulically-controlled, and certain friction modifiers that the 7176 has
that DexIII doesn't.....

If you really want to know the reasons why, just ask the question on
alt.autos.dodge.trucks newsgroup and someone should give you a good
explanation (they covered this topic several months ago).

'92 Dak CC 2wd 318 3.55
'84 GoldWing Interstate