Re: Header exhaust leak

From: Michael Sykes (msykes@su.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 23 1999 - 17:32:54 EDT

dude!!! my edlebrocks do it too!!! The shops I've taken it to have all said that it's just the nature of headers... I too have tightened everything I can get my hands on and it still does it. I know that your supposed to retighten all the bolts every couple weeks after you install the headers for a couple months, which I failed to do (I tightened, but I don't think I did it often enough). I've heard of a couple tricks to get the gaskets to expand more than normal and that'll probably help. I'll talk to my F-body buddies to see.... it was something like sokin' the gaskets in salt water before you install it or something....

-mike d.

>>> <BlKV8Dkota@aol.com> 09/21/99 12:40AM >>>
I put on edelbrock headers on my 98 318. I have an exhaust leak somewhere.
The noise is very annoying. Everything is tight. I think it might be the
gaskets. The noise sounds like a sort of tapping almost. I know it is from
the exhaust because this did not happen with the old manifolds. It is only
heard under acceleration and not just driving. Is this caused by bad
gaskets?

josh