Apples and Playstations Was: New Dodge "DIFFERENT" Commercials

From: Ryan T. Grimes (rugbynut@ameritech.net)
Date: Fri Sep 24 1999 - 18:53:29 EDT

> >>the G4 500 is actually rated as a super-computer by the US
>Government<<
>
>One small thing to say about this. Do you think Apple would be
>advertising this so much if everyone knew there is another device that
>receives the same classification for the same reason? What, you ask?
>PlayStation 2, due out next year, probably in the $250-300 range. Too bad
>it costs you close to $4000 to get the same amount of computing power from
>apple :-)
>
>David Gloff
>Computer Technician
>Valcom Professional Computer Center; Kemper/Scudder/Zurich Funds
>aolim: dgloff
>Loaded Intense Blue '99 Dakota Sport CC 318 5-speed 3.92SG
>
>"This is a litigation-free zone. Prosecutors will be Violated."

That's partially true. While the PLaystation 2 is technically an
extremely fast computer, it's only fast at certain things. Rendering
graphics being one of them. Now, can you run a rc5-64 code cracker
on a Playstation 2? Nope. How about a Dreamcast? Uh-huh. A G4/500
from Apple will crack almost 2 billion keys/second. It will also
crunch a SETI block in about 5 hrs. My G3 433 can do one SETI block
in 6 hrs give or take 15 minutes. So while the consoles are
lightning fast at 1-2 things, they cannot handle the multitude of
tasks a computer can.

Ryan T. Grimes
Rugby-[CMG]
Clan Mac Gaming