Transgo kit on the track

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun Sep 26 1999 - 20:25:40 EDT

For those who have manual shifting problems (as I had) with
the Transgo kit at WOT, I think that I may have solved the
problem with manual shifting, at least on my Dak.

I spoke with the owner of an Indy Ram who was also having erratic
shifts ... he finally went to just letting the tranny do the shifts.
He said that his problems occurred whenever he did a sustained,
high rev warmup of his tires.

I began experimenting with my tires' warmup procedures and found
that, whenever I kept the revs to 3000 rpm in 2nd during the tire spin
and drove out in drive to the tree, the manual shifting worked.

With my mods, I have to shift at high revs to stay in the 'transplanted'
power band. I lowered my 1-2 shift to 4800 and the 2-3 shift to 5000.
I used to do the 1-2 shift at 5000 and the 2-3 shift at 5300 along with
a high reved warmup and had problems with the tranny not shifting.

With the revised tire warmup procedure and the lowering of my shift
points, I set my best ets in both the 1/8 (9.766) and 1/4 (15.268)
with no shift problems.

Experiment with your tire warmup revs and shift points ... you may
find that you no longer have WOT shift problems with the kit. Let me
know how you make out.

Now, for some 50F and low humidity days ...

Bob, Burlington, Ontario
'97 FR CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto., 15.268 @ 88.86