Re: Ebay: Vortech Supercharger for 91-96 318/360

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Sep 27 1999 - 16:29:04 EDT

At 11:48 PM 9/26/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Right now I'm really wondering what to do?? Put only a Powerdyne
>Supercharger at $2450 on my Ram 5.2L with already a Gibson Cat-Back ,...
>or an K & N FIPK, Upgrade computer chip, Mopar Performance headers,
>+cam and lifters at about the same price. Much appreciation for feedback
>needed.

If you mean an MP PCM when you write 'upgrade computer chip', that plus
the headers, cam, lifters, hd valve springs, retainers, 1.6 alum. rockers
cut my ETs by about 1.1 seconds. Being that your Ram is probably heavier
than my Dak (4350 lb), you will likely see a smaller improvement.

I don't know what power figures the Powerdyne adds but the above Magnum
R/T package adds about 40-45 lb-ft of torque and about 45 hp to the
rear wheels (all figures are corrected). You will loose a bit of low
end torque but will be strong in the mid to high end. The MP computer
will also eliminate the speed limiter and raise the rev limiter to
about 6200 rpm and the redline to about 5500 rpm. (92 octane required).

With the blower, you will not need the MP PCM but will probably need to add
a device which will retard timing unless it's included with the SC package.
You'll also be restricted by the speed/rev limiters unless you go with
a customized computer. I personally would not go with a blower until
I strengthened the valve train components first. Hope this helps a bit.

Bob, Burlington, Ontario
'97 FR CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto., 15.268 @ 88.86