Leach header group buy comments

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Wed Sep 29 1999 - 00:03:20 EDT

All,
I fully understand how some of you have become upset with the fact that
Mopar Performance has mandated Mike Leach to cancel the header group buy,
but I think there is a little more to this than just greed on the part of
Mopar. Though this is only my speculation, I suspect that Mopar shut the
group buy down because Mike was selling the headers to us for less than the
dealerships were paying for them. Mike agreed to make us a better deal on
the headers than we could get from a dealer. He showed me what the dealers
were paying for them and knocked a couple of bucks from that number. Now if
you were a dealer and looked around the net to see who your competition was,
you would be a little upset to see that the second return on a search for
"Mopar Headers" through Yahoo was my web site (I have no idea how that
happened!) which listed the fact that anyone could purchase the headers
directly from the manufacturer for less than you as a dealer could. Again,
this is just my speculation and I'm guessing here, but I suspect this is
what has happened. Some dealer saw either my web site, or the group buy page
on the DML home page and complained to Mopar Performance. Mopar then
probably confirmed the complaint, and asked Mike to stop the program to
protect it's dealers. Remember, Mike is making these headers under license
for Mopar. Without this license, he will lose substantial business. As the
person who setup the group purchase, I am sorry to see it come to an end.
But, on the other hand, it has been running now for 11 months. That's not
too shabby. Most companies want to keep a time frame of just a week or two
on their programs. This allowed far more people to take advantage of the
G.P. that would have been able to if it had been only run for even a month.
Just my .02

John
98 Dak 4X4 CC Sport, 5.2L, Auto, Mopar headers, F&B TB, DDBC