Re: Power potential of 360? - long

From: mrdancer (mrdancer@camalott.com)
Date: Wed Sep 29 1999 - 17:46:47 EDT

I agree that FI can be better custom-tailored to any given drivetrain. I
guess I was coming at it from a standpoint of starting from scratch and
building lotsa power on a budget. You can get a good carb and intake for
probably around $6-700, but the FI systems seem to run over $1k. Plus, for
the real custom applications, you can add in the expense of a computer
(laptop) to program it (if you don't have one already).

Custom FI is nice if you have the $ and knowledge to get a good system.
From a bucks-down standpoint, and having a good carb mechanic dialing in
your carb, going the carb route isn't such a bad deal (FWIW, many Ferraris &
other hi-po cars still had multiple carbs up until just a few years ago,
some might still.... oh yeah, bikes have carbs, too - something about
better throttle response with a CV carb than with FI).

Jon wrote...
   We may have to agree to disagree on this one, but IMHO, FI is easier
to tune than a carbeurator. (someone once told me that "carbeurator" is
French for "leave it alone", and I agree with 'em) :-) I mean, I don't
have to screw with floats or screwdrivers or jets or needles; I just plug in
the laptop and punch some buttons. I don't even have to get my hands dirty.
Heck, I don't even have to pop the hood! :-) Also, FI gives you much more
tuning control... Automatic atmospheric compensation, spark and fuel are
controlled at the same place; you can tune precisely across the entire
powerband if you need to, and I haven't seen a carb that you can tell to
give you an exact A/F ratio at a certain RPM... FI can do all that and
more. The FI system I am considering will allow me to run closed loop
across the entire powerband! I didn't even mention improved idle and
vastly superior fuel economy. :-)
    Plus, I'm a gadget geek and I love to play with high tech stuff. :-)
(Ok, so maybe FI isn't exactly high tech anymore, but still...) :-)

                                              -Jon-