RE: Re: Re: Re: Rifle Rack

From: brian.duffey@intelsat.int
Date: Tue Oct 05 1999 - 11:03:10 EDT

Tom,

Of all the options available for transporting your rifles in the truck, the
rear window rifle rack is probably the worst. Unless you plan on NEVER
leaving the truck and having to leave the rifle in the rack, go with either
the Shelf-It rifle shelf (Above sun-visor) or get one of the "saddle-bag"
type holders that mount to the back of the seats (very inconspicuous if you
have the Reg. Cab Dak).

These days, all it takes is a short stop at the Quickee Mart for your
morning 'constitutional' before heading into the woods, and you come back to
find someone has relieved you of your rifle.

One of the best tricks I've seen is a L.E. friend who took out the storage
areas of his Dak CC, had a custom fitted Alum. rifle lock box installed
under the rear seat, with dual lock top. Uses it for his rifles and keeps
his duty weapon in there when away from the truck & not carrying.

Rifle racks were fine in the days of Wally & the Beav.
But now in the days of Beavis & Butthead, I just shake my head when I see
someone with a rifle rack, advertising "hey break into me!"

(PS: This isn't meant as bustin' anyone's chops. Just some advise from one
who has seen it happen to others)

Later,

Duff (Va. CCL and long time hunter)
'95 SLT 4x4 CC 318 4spd/OD - 3.55 LSD
MSD 6AL - MSD Blaster Coil
MSD 8.5 wires - K&N FIPK - F&B Stage I TBI