Re: whats this about sparknock?

From: Bryan West (BryanW@huscointl.com)
Date: Wed Oct 06 1999 - 08:48:37 EDT

Just had my truck at the dealership yesterday for an oil change and
rotating the tires (as if I don't do that enough). I was having some
problems with light spark knock under load, told 'em to check it out and
look for the TSB that was posted here. TSB's are free, no reason to do
it yourself. Anyway, they did it, spark knock seems to have lessened
considerably, still very faint with the tank of 87 octane I just put in
it, was using 89 to combat the problem. Also had 'em check out the
rearend, it was starting to act a little like a one wheel wonder. They
said the Breakaway torque was fine, plates were chattering a little
though, added friction modifier seems to be much better. So, long and
short, I wouldn't worry too much about spark knock unless it's
excessive, i.e. all the time, just have the dealer perform the rerouting
TSB next time you take it in.

-Bryan West
'99 CC 4X4 318 WHT SPORT
open element air cleaner
removed muffler

> Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 15:42:50 -0500
> From: GS- <GSWillhite@ualr.edu>
> Subject: DML: Re: whats this about sparknock?
>
> If its pinging (loss of power, clatter noise) usually on acceleration
> or wide open throttle going up hills. YOU can reroute the plug and
> coil
> wires. There was a very informative post on this a few days ago. Just
> make sure the clatter you described is coming from the engine area and
> not the tranny or the differential (rear axle). ....

         ...... I also told the dealer to check my engine to make sure
the timing