RE: New Member

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Wed Oct 06 1999 - 10:29:31 EDT

Traction.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@buffnet.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@buffnet.net]On Behalf Of John Zaniewski
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 1999 8:54 AM
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
Subject: Re: DML: New Member

OK there are two votes for LSD in the snow and one to stay with the
open rear end. What are the options to adding the LSD?

> In a message dated 10/4/99 10:19:52 PM Central Daylight Time,
> zaniewski@wvucemr1.cemr.wvu.edu writes:
>
> > Second, I bought the truck in Arizona where snow was not a
> > concern. Since moving to West Virginia, I've been thinking that a
> > limited slip differential would be a nice thing in the snow. Is
> > this correct thinking and if so, what is the best option for the
> > upgrade. I have ABS on the rear wheels. Thanks
> I've found LSD to be very helpful in snow, but watch out for crowned
> roads as the rear will tend to slide off if both wheels spin. This is
> preferable to being stuck just because one wheel is on a slick spot
> though.
>
> Chris from CVille
>
> don't go with a locker, that's overkill for what your trying to do and
> you won't like the noise and tire wear.

John Zaniewski
Asphalt Technology Professor &
Director, Staggers National Transportation Center
PO Box 6103
West Virginia University
Morgantown WV 26506
Voice (304) 293 3031 x 2648