Re: Need more power in my V-4

From: Jack Hilton (HEMI@charter.net)
Date: Tue Oct 12 1999 - 09:55:19 EDT

At 10:57 PM 10/11/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>OK. Heres my problem... I've got a 99 dakota single cab with a V-4
>engine.

Actually , you have a 2.5L Inline 4-Cylinder . If it were in a "V"
configuration , such as a V6 or V8 , the cylinders would be opposing each
other , but in what loks like a "V" , typically a 60 degree or 90 degree
angle .

  As most people do with any car i want more POWER. I've looked
>briefly and headers are not available. I have been told that no air
>intake will fit so that leave me with exhaust. That will increase
>horsepower a little but not much. So my question is what can i do to
>increase my horsepower and can anyone confirm that headers and intake
>are not an option? Thanx!
>

>-Travis

Well Travis , I feel your pain . Before i bought my 98 R/T , I had a 94
Sport with a 4-cylinder .

The engine pulled well and hauled whatever i threw in it , but it just
didn't have any "get-up and go!" to it .

I never was able to fuind anyone that made headers for it , but I believe
that most of the aftermarket air-kits , like the Airaid and others should
work . If they don't , just make yourself one ! You can easily do it and it
will be cheaper . Just go to your local Home Depot or Lowes .

I was able to find a place that makes a turbo kit for that engine , but it
was for the Jeep . This is the same engine , so I would *guess* that it may
work . I will look up the link when I get home tonite , and if I can find
it , I'll post it .

You could try NOS , but the 4-cylindrs typically do not last on average
more than about 90-100k miles as it is . You throw some juice on it and it
will shorten it up even more .

You could have a custom made cat-back put on it , just go down to your
local muffler shop and they can work with you . Just make sure you don't
open the exhaust up too much or you will lose alot of your HP .

Good Luck !

Jack Hilton III

Black 1998 Dodge Dakota R/T Club Cab

Charter Pipeline......the Next Wave.....

HEMI@charter.net

http://webpages.charter.net/hemi/jbd1.html