Re: DML:Trannies - Eric Kurtz

From: John Cullen (cullen@voicenet.com)
Date: Sun Oct 17 1999 - 12:46:00 EDT

W. Jack Hilton III wrote:

> I dunno , Boog , I am almost certain that the 318 used the 44RE .
>
> I read it somewhere , but I can't remember where .

This was copied from

ROAD TEST: 1997 DODGE DAKOTA

Backing these Magnums are two automatic trannys and two manuals. A new trans,
the 44RE wide-ratio automatic, will replace the 46RE on V-8-powered Dakotas.
It offers lower First and Second gears and has the OD kick-down button mounted
on the shifter stalk (as does the lighter-duty 42RE). The Dakota's
engine-management electronics have also been improved to smoothen gear-hunting
with these automatics. The five-speed manual choices are the AS82 and
heavier-duty NV3500 (V-8 only), and a hydraulic clutch system is new for '97.
V-6 4x4 models are equipped with the New Venture 231 transfer case, and a
heavier-duty NV231 is in V-8 Dakotas. Overall, nine powertrain combos are
offered between 2WD and 4WD models.

copied from Jeep web
The 46RH 4 speed automatic transmission was used in 1993 to 1995 Jeep Grand
Cherokees with 5.2L engines.
The 44RE 4 speed automatic transmission was used in 1996 to present Jeep Grand
Cherokees with 5.2L engines.

So the Grand Cherokees with 5.2L engines were the first to get the 44RE in 96
and the dak's followed
in 97 prior to that the 46RH/E /A518 trannies were used for both the 360's and
318's.

John