Re: Colder Plugs what does this mean

From: jimm (jmiller@texnet.net)
Date: Sun Oct 17 1999 - 14:14:08 EDT

The temp rating of the plug has something to do with the length of the electrode
or how far it reaches into the combustion chamber. Typically, high compression
engines like the old 383 and 440 magnum and hemi engines used a colder plug but
low compression engines need a hotter plug. I believe the heat range of a plug
is coded into the part number of the plug and should not vary much if any from
brand to brand. I understand if you use too cold a plug it may foul and misfire
because deposits can build up and short the electrodes out. Too hot of a plug
will burn up prematurely and may also add to a detonation problem. It is best to
use the heat range recommended by the manufacture, however I believe sometimes
emission concerns may call for a less than optimum plug. I am not a plug expert
this is just what I have heard from working in a garage for 30 years.
Jim in Waco.