Re: DML:Trannies - Eric Kurtz

From: John Cullen (cullen@voicenet.com)
Date: Sun Oct 17 1999 - 18:26:34 EDT

John Cullen wrote:

> Are the 97+ dakotas physically larger as well as
> heavier than previous years?
> If so, why would they use a weaker light duty automatic trany
> with their physically larger and heaver V8 daks?
> >From what I've found the 42RE and the 44RE are the same
> trany! The onty differences being:
>
> Front Clutch 42RE 4 discs
> 44RE 5 discs
>
> Rear Clutch same for both
>
> Overdrive 42RE 3 discs
> Clutch 44RE 4 discs
>
> Direct 42RE 6 discs
> Clutch 44RE 8 discs
>
> So for you V6 auto owners, If you ever get you trany done
> have them throw in acouple more clutch plates and you
> got yourself a 44RE.
>
> For us V8 auto owners, can you say how many mods did you
> do before your trany went

I think I answered my own question. And here it goes
when the dak was redesigned in 97, the designers
new the 318 was going to go out of production
and be replaced by the 4.7L along with a new trans.
Upon re-evaluation of the components to be used
and the fact that the final production version of
the 318's max output torque was 300, now a fixed number,
since no further development was being done on this motor.
They could substitute the light duty 42RE for the 46RE
and reduce costs.

So my new question is what is the max torque rating
of the 42RE? i.e. the number used to determine the
the gears and shafts strength used, because all the clutch
plates in the world are not going to help if this number
is exceeded.

John