Re: Ping and Rattle problems

From: Tony Mastres (mastres@id.ucsb.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 20 1998 - 13:53:25 EDT

>I have a '99 4x4 with a 3.9 V6 and 13,600 miles.
>
>Some time ago, it started "pinging" around 1600 RPM. Eventually, it also
>pinged around
>3000, then spread almost any RPM. It starts after about 20 minutes of
>driving and only
>pings while moving, never in neutral. The loudness has increased to
>unbearable levels
>(sounds like it's all gonna fall apart). I call it knocking or rattling
>now.

I've had the exact same problem for about 6 months with no resolution. I
have found that higher octane gas will reduce but not eliminate the
problem. The oddest diagnosis was that something in the California
emissions packacge was causing it. I really dont know enough about it to
believe or discount this theory but I was wondering if this is a California
problem moreso than other parts of the country?