RE: Dakota Suspension Lift and Rim Backspacing

From: Walter Felix (walt_felix@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 20 1999 - 23:31:43 EDT

Remember, the cataloge says

"New wheels required. Distance from inner sidewall of inflated tire to rim
mounting surface cannot exceed 4 3/4" to avoid upper control arm
interference."

The reason they require the different backspacing is because of the knuckle
adapter that bolt in between the top of the knuckle and the upper ball
joint. It won't fit within the stock rims. If you measure from the
mounting surface to the edge of the rim your getting the backspacing of the
rim. They're saying the "Distance from inner sidewall of inflated tire to
rim mounting surface" If you have 3.75" of backspacing on the rim and run a
12.50 tire on an 10" wide rim, there is another 1.25" of tire on each side
of the rim. leaving you at the 4.75" max limit. You have to make sure the
rim is within the recomended widths for the tire. If you try to run 12.50s
on an 8" rim, you may be running into clearance problems.