Heater Problem

From: Dems, Bernard (BC) (bdems@dow.com)
Date: Tue Oct 26 1999 - 14:03:46 EDT

Hello y'all. It's not very often that you need the heater down here in
Houston. I own a '93 Dakota 4x4 with the 3.9L V-6 that I purchased brand
new way back when.

I discovered yesterday morning on the way to work that the heater was
blowing cold air despite the heater lever being all the way to the right in
the hot position.

Nothing abnormal about where the engine temp. was running. The 5/8" dia.
rubber hoses running to and from the heater core in the firewall were both
very warm to the touch seemingly indicating good flow from the water pump.
The selector switch for directing air flow through the defroster or vents
(front or lower to the legs) is working fine.

My inclination is that there's some sort of diverter flap that directs the
air flow through or around the heater core and which may be stuck in the
"bypass around heater core" position. Is this diverter buried somewhere in
the dash or is it somewhat more accessible? I take it this is vacuum
actuated, or could it be electro-mechanical?? Any other ideas?

Wouldn't you believe when I referred to my Chilton's manual that the Chapter
3 "Heating and Cooling" section was omitted from the manual!

Was wondering if anyone can help. Thanks very much in advance.

Cooling Down in Texas