Subject:Re: Re: VIN # Registry!!!!!! PLEASE READ

From: Mike Gibbons (gibbons@fn.net)
Date: Sat Oct 30 1999 - 08:23:22 EDT

Here in Kansas, you can request to "opt out" when you get your drivers
license and your plates/registration. This is supposed to keep your info
private to a certain degree. I'm not sure exactly how it works or how well,
but it's doesn't cost anything and it's easy so I requested this. I don't
know if any other states do this or something similar. Also, here you can
have you drivers license issued with your Social Security # as the drivers
license # or have a random # generated by the computer. I recommend getting
the random #. Someone used my ex's name and SS # to obtain a credit card
while we were married and charged up over $16,000! We had to fill out some
legal paperwork denying the charges and put a 9 year credit fraud statement
in her credit report so that if anyone applies for credit they have to call
our phone number for approval.

Mike G.

Subject: Re: DML: VIN # Registry!!!!!! PLEASE READ

DMV records are considered public information and covered by the Freedom of

Information Act. This is because your paying a licensing fee to a
Government agency and the Act requires them to disclose the information by
request. In most states, anyone can go into the DMV office and request a
copy of your records for a small fee. Some states even offer this
information online. Most will not ask why the information is needed though

some do. You can do pretty much the same thing at a person's town hall.
Someone can go in and for a small fee, get copies of tax and property
records. I used to do this when I did some skip tracing and was only asked

once for ID.

I'll see if I can find a copy of the Act on the net