RE: Mopar Headers Installed!!!! and 3" exhaust (somehwhat long)

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Sun Oct 31 1999 - 22:54:51 EST

BEWARE BEWARE!!! I did a similar setup that you have on my '95 SLT V8
Dakota, except I left the stock CAT and pipe from the Y-to the back of the
CAT. It worked out great, UNTIL the CAT died (mileage), and I went 3"
complete from the Y to the back of the CAT.

I lost a TON of low end, and with little power below 2500 RPM. Once I was
above 3000 RPM though, it ripped until just below 5 grand. Driveability was
terrible with the Jeckle & Hyde manners it developed. Kinda like a CR125
(no low end-- then SNAP with a short mid-high end burst).

I ended up replacing the muffler (cheaper) with little more back pressure
and that cured the problem.

So, thought I would pass along some info.

Sam '99 RT & '00??