Re: Re: oxygen sensor

From: Mike Gibbons (gibbons@fn.net)
Date: Mon Nov 01 1999 - 07:49:39 EST

Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 23:35:39 EST
From: "Dave Scelfo" <macncheesemonster@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: DML: Re: oxygen sensor

>>Since the exhaust is being pressurized by hot, expanding gasses trying to
>get out, air cannot get back into the exhaust system. You would have to
>have a vacuum (less than ambient pressure) to allow air back in.
>
>Mike G.

>You've never crossed a river with a hole in your exhaust. Ask the
4-wheeler
>guys. Once that tailpipe goes under you better get the winch out.

- --
Dave

Actually, I have crossed water deep enough to come in through the door
sills and fill the cab and had no problems other than trying to dry out the
carpet. I guess maybe there were no holes in the system. The entire system
was definitely underwater though. I guess if we look at the exhaust as a
big venturi and apply Bernoulli's (sp?) principal that an increase in
velocity causes a decrease in pressure, the system might act as a jet pump
where a small stream of high velocity fluid pulls a large stream of low
velocity fluid through a venturi. Hmmmmm.... OK, am not entirely convinced
either way. You have made a good point and I withdraw the certainty of my
previous statement.

Mike G.