VIN Registry - Let me know what you think...

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 05 1999 - 06:27:07 EST

   There has been some talk on the list lately regarding a VIN
registry. Some people have been more vocal than others... ;-)
I just sat down and worked for about 13 hours straight on this
thing, and I think its just about ready for prime time.

   I was hoping I could get those of you interested in this
registry to take a look at it and see if it will suffice. It
is similar to many of the other "databases" on the DML Home Page
in that when you add your info, it gets e-mailed to me, and I'll
insert it and run a script to rebuild the HTML files.

   Although you have the option of sending in your VIN, if you
do, I will only use it to decode and extract the year, line, body
style, engine, plant, and build sequence. If you don't want to input
your VIN, you don't have to; you can just input the 6 items I
mentioned above yourself. No VINs are stored in the database at
all, not even hidden ones. This should provide us with a useful
resource while also eliminating the risk of some non-DMLer stealing
VINs.

  The registry is currently active, but I'd like to make sure
it will be OK before accepting and inputting valid data.
(There's no link to it from the DML Home Page yet.)

  Currently, the registry is filled with a bunch of garbage
data that doesn't make much sense; I was just using it to
have something in there while I was designing and creating it.
However, it should give you an idea of what it will be like.

   Anyway, lemme know what you think, I'm going to go get some
dinner and hit the hay! :-)

The URL for the registry is:

http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/www/dakota/vinregistry

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |