Re: More Speakers = Louder?

From: Skip (shadowcatcher@home.com)
Date: Fri Nov 05 1999 - 09:52:17 EST

One of the problems could be the speakers efficiency, expressed as sound
pressure level (spl). Aftermarket speakers tend to require more power
to drive them (less efficient) but the sound is more accurate. The
factory head unit is massively over rated, in reality puts out in the
vicinity of 7 watts (RMS, not max.), and very low voltage. My Alpine,
rated at 40 watts per channel max. puts out closer to 20w. RMS, and 5
volts. If you add an amp and a new head unit, your power will increase
enough to power those JBLs to volume levels you never had with the stock
ones.
Skip
SoCal DOC

--