stereo help-bad amp or xover?

From: Patrick Delgado (dadoctah@vitelcom.net)
Date: Fri Nov 05 1999 - 14:58:53 EST

My 97 CC has the am/fm/cassette but with the Infinity 8 speaker set
with the OEM amp in the kickpanel. Quite suddenly it seems like I've
lost output to the front 6.5's and the tweets are getting the full
range. Naturally, they're distorting unless the bass is turned all
the way down, even at low volumes. The oem rears and bazooka(powered
by a 1X100 amp feeding from one of the rear speaker leads) are fine.
Is the crossover built into the amp, head unit or is it by the
tweeters? I was very happy with the system before but would probably
replace whatever's defective with something better.
Any troubleshooting tips or ideas would be appreciated.
Dr. Pat