Re: Champion Truck Plugs (4071) - Not good

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Nov 08 1999 - 12:25:12 EST

At 07:30 PM 11/7/99 -0600, you wrote:
> <snip>
>Let me know how those plugs look when you pull them, please.

Took a look at the Autolites in cyclinders 2 and 3 this morning.
The one in cycl. 2 was just a bit damp on the threads ... the one
in cycl. 3 just a little more damp on the threads than cycl. 2.
Electrodes are clean as a whistle. Mind you this is just with about
35 miles of highway driving and 11 runs down the quarter.

I've noticed that I've been using oil the last few times at the track
... about 3/4 qts. each time. There are no tell-tale signs from the
exhaust pipes at start-up, idle or street driving though.

A couple of other observations (black oily coating down the throat
of the throttle body and oh so slight pinging under load) lead me
to believe that possibly the gasket between the lower (steel) portion
and the upper (aluminum) part of the intake manifold may explain the
wetness and the deposits that were on the truck plugs and the loss
of oil. I've heard that this gasket failure is a fairly common
and can be one of the major causes of pinging on our trucks.

I'll be keeping a close eye on the plug conditions and oil level
over the next while and will update if I find anything.

Message 67 since Oct. 23/99.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.