Re: Was: M1 dyno verified Hp #s on a 360& observations(rev limiter) Now: PCM

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Nov 08 1999 - 17:31:06 EST

At 11:47 AM 11/8/99 -1000, you wrote:
>I've been on the DML for a while now, but didn't know that a '96 MP PCM
>can be used on '97 (5.2L) Is it a "plug-in" mod? If I've been reading
>right, there is no MP PCM for '97 yet.

There are two '96 MP PCM; one for the manual and the other for the auto.
Both are complete computers which replace the stock computer. If you
send in your stock computer, there's a $100 U.S. rebate.

I've written MP Tech Line and received probably the quickest response
that they have ever given ... we do not make a high performance computer
for the '97 Dakotas.

>I'm using a JET Stage II, and haven't had problems. Would you suggest
>the '96 MP PCM for '97 (mainly street driving - some towing).

They do not recommend towing with the MP computers ... probably will
cause pinging with the advance timing combined with the extra load.

There was a major rewiring of the gauges in the dash from the '96s
to the '97s so that none of the gauges will function when using the
'96 MP PCM in the '97s. The performance gain is still there and it
was pretty substantial for my truck. I am driving by an aftermarket tach
and I make sure that I carry the stock computer with me. I also do
frequent, regular checks with the stock computer to make sure that no codes
have been triggered and to see where the fuel level is. One advantage is
that odometer does not work as well ... (ahem) want to buy my truck... only
15,000 mi. on it.

If you like the MP numbers for the computers, let me know and I'll see if
I can find them.

<snip>

Message 68 since Oct. 23/99.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.