Re: assist me before I get in over my head on a clutch job!

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Nov 10 1999 - 09:00:46 EST

At 02:05 PM 11/9/99 -0600, you wrote:
<snip>
>My real question is this: is pulling the 5 speed on this truck a 1 person
>operation? Can I do it without disconnecting the exhaust Y-pipe from
>the manifolds (it crosses over directly behind the bellhousing hump;
>is there room to take the bellhousing back and up a tad to clear the
pipe?)?
>It looks like all the hardware on the manifold is rusted pretty tight and
>will break if I try to remove it. The trans itself looks pretty big as
>well (although it looks very similar in design to one I took off of a
>'81 Datsun truck for my datsun 510, with the bellhousing being part
>of the transmission case)...can one person handle the job? Any hints
>on getting the driveshaft/carrier bearing off?

The '97 FSM clutch cover and disc removal procedure calls for truck to be
raised and then removal of the transmission and clutch housing as assembly.
If clutch cover is only being removed for access to another component, mark
position of cover on flywheel with small punch marks. Loosen clutch cover
bolts evenly and in rotation to relieve spring tension. Loosen bolts a few
threads at a time to avoid warping cover. Completely remove cover bolts,
clutch cover, and clutch disc.

I believe that the 3.9L manual tranny is an AX15 and its removal calls
for the tranny to be in 1st or 3rd, truck raised on a hoist, and disconnecting
any necessary exhaust system components (probably Y pipe).

>Any special tools required? Should I go out and get a Haynes or Chilton's
>manual before attempting this? Any other "gotcha's"?

Probably would be a good idea to have a manual and a helper for removal of
the tranny. Probably will need an alignment tool for installing the pilot
bearing. Have never done anything like this so all I can offer is a
"good luck" and say that you are a really good buddy to do it for someone
else!

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.