Actron Scanner WAS: Re: NEW TO THE LIST

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Nov 11 1999 - 16:11:01 EST

At 02:41 PM 11/11/99 +0000, you wrote:
>What we need is someone to take the engine contol functions(RAM,EPROM
>whatever) out of the 96 MP's and transplant them into the 97 OE's.
>Were you thinking along these lines? In any case, Sign me up for one
>of whatever you come up with. Dr. Pat

No, much simpler. Still a slim chance it may work though.
But, right now, I've got a bigger, perplexing problem.

I hooked up the Actron III scanner with the Chrysler generic
OBD-II cartridge this morning. This is/was known in the States
as the SunPro scanner which was used on Shadetree Mechanics.
The OBD-II scanner cable connector breaks contact with the
diagnostic connector by the steering wheel way too easily
(don't even have to move anything for it to happen).

When connected, I can get a limited number of OBD-II function
tests completely monitored, a limited number incompletely monitored
and quite a few that are not available. Disappointing but not
unexpected.

The problem now is, with the scanner connected and the stock '97
computer in, the dash gauges work as they're supposed to and I
get readouts as long as the connection holds but, when you disconnect
the scanner, the gauges, radio and overhead light are not working even
though the stock computer is still hooked up!!! I've taken the
neg. cable to battery off for about an hour and retried the
process ... no functioning gauges with the stock computer unless
the scanner is connected.

Need to get away from this for a few hours. Anybody have any ideas
what's happening???

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.