RE: Burnouts????

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Nov 11 1999 - 18:24:55 EST

At 12:06 PM 11/11/99 -0800, you wrote:
>How detrimental is this to the rear brakes. <snip>

I too expected that I would have to replace the pads and smooth
out the drums at the end of the track season.

My procedure at the track with the auto. was to have overdrive off
and in 2nd, hold the brake pedal, rev. up to 3000 rpm, hold under
the drag radials just started to smoke, put it in Drive and release
the brake pedal. Every run.

Just before the track closed, I decided to adjust the rear brakes
so they would give less drag. The pads and the drums were surprisingly
in excellent shape with the pads and drums having some glazing
on them. Cleaned everything up with brake cleaning fluid.

Brake cleaning fluid is also effective for removing the white shoe
polish that's used to put on your tech number and dial-ins. Spray
on a clean cloth and rub vigorously ... does leave an oily film but
eliminates getting those white flakes all over and in the weatherstripping.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.